Prof. Dr. Hans Hofsäss
2nd Institute of Physics, Faculty of Physics
University of Göttingen, Friedrich-Hund-Platz 1,37077 Göttingen
room D 01.118
phone: +49 551 39 7669
fax:: +49 551 39 4493e-mail: hans.hofsaess-at-phys.uni-goettingen.de
Research Publications Invited Talks CV Teaching Functions KFSI TV show "Wetten Dass ...." Chernobyl accident
Researchplease visit the home page of my research group
Ultra-Low-Energy (20 eV) Ion Implantation Doping of Graphene
We can implant graphene sheets on various substrates as well as graphene on TEM grids with mass selected ultra low energy mass selected ions under UHV conditions (P < 10-6 Pa)
Ion energy:down to 20 eV rather uniform over an area of about 2 cm2
Beam current: several µA
Typical Ion Fluences: 1E14 - 1E15 /cm2
Efficiency : about 1% of the ions are incorporated and, for B and N, occupy substitutional sites, i.e. replace C-atoms
Available ions: H, B, C, N, O, F, P, S, metal ions up to W, noble gases, Ga, rare earth ions
Proton Beam Writing of 3D microstructures in Semiconductors
Ion Implantation Physics
- Nuclear Solid State Physics
- Emission Channeling and lattice location studies in semiconductors
- Electron Emission channeling with state of the art CCD detectors
- Perturbed angular correlation studies in oxides and sulfides
- Perturbed angular correlation studies of MAX phases
- Luminescence of Rare Earth doped Semiconductors
- Photoluminescence of wide bang gap semiconductors
- Pattern formation by sputter erosion of surfaces
- surfactant sputtering
- evolution of surface ripples on Si and C
- surface ripples on ferromagnetic (Fe, Ni) metal films
- boron nitride (c-BN, h-BN, t-BN)
- tetrahedral amorphous carbon (ta-C)
- carbon nitride, boron carbide, fluorinated a-C
- metal carbon composite thin films
- mass selected ion beam depsoition
- analysis of ion solid interaction using isotopically pure markers
- conducting ion tracks in ta-C
- ion tracks in metal-insulator transition systems (VO2, ...)
- self aligned field emission cathodes
- swift heavy ion induced annealing
- NRA hydrogen profiling using the 1H(15N,alpha,gamma)12C reaction
- Rutherford backscattering (RBS) depth resolution 10 nm, beam spot 0.5 mm - 1 mm diameter
- High resolution RBS, depth resolution 1-2 nm for layers up to 20 nm thickness, 0.5 mm diameter beam spot
- Ion channeling- PIXE and µ-PIXE
Download the Ion beam brochure from 2003 8.2 MB
Download the KFSI report from 2003 3 MB
Publications sorted by topic can be found on the home page of my research group
Herstellungsverfahren für eine mikromechanische Vorrichtung
H. Hofsäss, J. Boneberg, P. Leiderer,
Deutsches Patent Nr. 197 52 202.5-09 vom 25.11.1997
Quantenpunkt aus elektrisch leitendem Kohlenstoff,
Verfahren zur Herstellung und Anwendung
A. Weidinger, J.-H. Zollondz, J. Krauser, B. Mertesacker, H. Hofsäss
Deutsches Patent Nr. 103 06 076 vom 08.02.2003
Int. Conf. on Surface Modification of Materials by Ion Beams, (SMMIB), November 2015, Chiang Mai, Thaiand.
Int. Workshop on Nanoscale Pattern Formation at Surfaces, Krakow, Poland, July 2015.
"Argon ion beam induced surface pattern formation on Si"
Int. Conf. and School on Swift Heavy Ions in Materials and Characterisation (SHIMEC), 8.-17. Oct. 2014, New Delhi.
"Proton Beam Writing in p-GaAs and p-Inp for the fabrication of 3D Micorstructures for MEMS Applications"
"Dot and Ripple Patterns -self organized - ion induced - impurity triggered"
"Simulation of ion beam irradiation of solids with SDTrimSP, SRIM and TRIDYN"
"Doping of graphene by ultra low energy mass selected ion implantation"
Int. Conf. on ion Beam Modification of Materials (IBMM) , 15. - 20. August 2014, Leuven, Belgium
"Doping of graphene by ultra low energy mass selected ion implantation"
Int. Conf. on Applications of Accelerators in Research and Industry (CAARI), 26.- 30. May 2014, San Antonio, Texas, USA
"Ion irradiation of Si surfaces – what determines the formation of ripple patterns?"
MRS Fall Meeting, Symposium S - Diamond electronics and Biotechnology, Dec. 2013, Boston MA, USA
"Electronic properties of tetrahedral amorphous carbon thin films"
Int. Conf. on Nanostructuring by Ion Beams, Oct. 2013, Jaipur, India
"Tuning the local electronic properties of vanadium dioxide by shwoft heavy ions."
Int. Conf. on surface Modification of Materials by Ion Beams, (SMMIB), Sept. 2013 Kusadasi, Turkey.
"Simulation of sputter erosion with SDTrimSP, TRIDYN and SRIM"
Int. Workshop on Nanoscale Pattern Formation at Surfaces, Kopenhagen, Denmark, May 2013.
" The role of phase separation for self-organized surface pattern formation by ion beam erosion and metal atom co-deposition"
Int. Conf. on Swift Heavy Ions in Materials and Characterisation (SHIMEC), 9.-12. Oct. 2012, New Delhi.
"Tuning the electrical conductivity of ion tracks generated by swift heavy ion irradiation"
Int. Conf. on Applications of Accelerators in Research and Industry (CAARI) 5.- 10. Aug. 2012, Fort Worth, Texas, USA
"Is sputter erosion relevant for ion-induced self-organized pattern formation"
Int. Thin films Conf. by Taiwan Association for Coatings and Thin Films (TACT) 19.-24.11. 2011, Kenting, Taiwan
"Synthesis of Nanostructured Films by Self-Organization"
Int. Workshop on Nanoscale Pattern Formation at Surfaces, El Escorial, Spain, 18.-22.Sep 2011
"On the Role of Phase Separation for Surfactant Driven Pattern formation by ion Beam Erosion"
20th Int. Conf. on Ion Beam Analysis (IBA), Itapema, Brazil 10.-15. April 2011
"Ion Beam Analysis of Surfactant Driven Self-organized Surface Patterns"Invited Talks
Int. Conf. on Ion Beam Induced Nanopatterning of Materials, 6.-10. Feb. 2011, Bhubanswar, India
"Surfactant Driven Self-organized Pattern Formation by Ion Beam Erosion"
Int.Symposium on Size Selected Clusters, (S3C) Davos, Switzerland, 21 - 24. Mar 2011.
"Turbostratic, Amorphous and Nanocrystalline Darbon and Boron Nitride"
Int. Conf. on Swift Heavy Ions in Materials and Characterisation (SHIMEC), 9.-12. Oct. 2010, New Delhi / India.
"Conducting ion Tracks - Formation, Properties and Applications"
Deutsche Tagung für Forschung mit Synchrotronstrahlung, Neutronen und ionenstrahlen, SNI 2010, 24.-26.2. 2010, Berlin/Germany.
"From Ion Tracks to Nanostructures"
International Material Research Congress, Cancun Mexico, 16. - 20. Aug. 2009
"The influence of Surfactant Atoms on Surface Pattern Formation During Ion Beam Erosion"
Int. Workshop on Nanoscale Pattern Formation at Surfaces, Rathen, Germany, 18.-22.Sep 2009.
Int. Conf. on Atomic Collisions in Solids (ICACS), Phalaborwa, August 2008, South Africa
"Fundamentals of Surfactant Sputtering"
European Materials Research Society Spring Meeting, Symposium A, Strasbourg France, May 2008
"Nanostructured Carbide surfaces Prepared by Surfactant Sputtering"
Int. Conf. on surface modification of Materials by Ion Beams, 30.9.-5.10.2007, Mumbai,India
"Nano Pattern Formation and Magnetic Texturing of Ferromagnetic Thin films Induced by Low Energy Sputter Erosion"
- Integrated course Physics I (Mechanics, Thermodynamics)
- Integrated course Physics II (Electricity, Magnetism, el-magn. waves, theory of relativity)
- Introduction to Nuclear and Particle Physics
- Fundamentals and Applications of Ion-Solid-Interaction
- Ion beam analysis
- Nuclear Solid state physics
- Physics of Nuclear Reactors
- Atomic Physics and Quantum Phenomena
- Physics of ion accelerators
- Waves and optics
- Physics of thin films
- Introduction to experimental physics (Electricity and Optics)
- Advanced lab course (atomic and nuclear physics)
- Experimental physics for biology and chemistry students
- Seminar on Nuclear Reactor Physics
- Seminar on Applied physics in environmental technology
- Seminar of solid state physics with synchrotron radiation
- various other seminars
Detailed List of lectures, seminars and lab courses
Matierials to download
4/2009 - 3/2013: Dean of the Faculty of Physics
Member of the Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft (DPG)Member of the Advisory board of the Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft
(DPG) until 2012
since 2004: Member of the Advisory Board of the Universitätsbund Göttingen e.V
Radiation safety representative at the II. Institute of Physics
2002-2008: Managing director of the II. Institute of Physics
2001 -2005: Dean of studies at the faculty of physics
2001-2006: Chair of the executive board of the Göttingen Graduate School of Physics2002-2010: Speaker of the Committee "Research with nuclear probes and ion beams at large scale facilities" ," Forschung mit nuklearen Sonden und Ionenstrahlen an Großgeräten" (KFSI)
Member of the International Steering
Committee of the International Conference on Swift Heavy Ion in Materials and Characterisation (SHIMEC) 2010, 2012, 2014, Inte University Accelerator Center, New Delhi, India
Member of the program committee of the SNI 2006 conference, Hamurg, Germany 4.-6-.10.2006 Member of the International Steering Committee of the 7th Int. Conf. on New Diamond Science and Technology, Juli 2000, Hong Kong
Member of the International Steering Committee of the 12th International Conference on Surface Modification of Materials by Ion Beams, September 2001, Marburg, GermanyMember of the International Steering Committee of the 8th Int. Conf. on New Diamond Science and Technology, Juli 2002, Melbourne Organizer of the 2nd
German Ion beam Meeting, Göttingen, May 200
Organizer of the Annual Meeting "Forschung mit Nuklearen Sonden und Ionenstrahlen", Göttingen, October 2000Organizer of the 4th c-BN expert meeting, Isle Reichenau, Germany, June 1997